Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Family Fun!

Our 4th of July weekend really wasn't very exciting, not much to post about it; but I thought I should record for the benefit of being able to look back and know what we did. We had made big plans early in the year to go back to Fillmore to celebrate in style (since they have the most amazing fireworks show ever known to mankind; and it's always like going home for Matt). Then we had the idea of maybe going up to Logan so we could pick up Matt's diploma from USU, visit his cousin JJ and pop over to Bear Lake to see our good friends there. Well we never made any definite plans and when it came down to it we decided gas prices were too high to really go anywhere. So, Matt had Friday off (rare occurrence) and we sat around wondering what we should do and feeling bad about not going anywhere until finally at about 3 o'clock we decided to go fishing at Silver Lake up Am. Fork Canyon. We met up with Matt's parent's and headed up to fish for a couple hours which ended up being pretty fun even though no one caught anything. The kids had a great time playing in the lake while I read through my new Sweet & Simple Gooseberry Patch cookbook I won last week at a Baby Shower. At about 7 o'clock we packed things up and decided we better head home for some dinner before fireworks. Sadie and McCrae wanted to ride with Grammy & Papa (of course) so we had Sydney, Stetson, and Brennon with us. We left the spot we had been fishing at and went around to the opposite side of the lake so the kids could wade through the creek that comes down the mountain and spills into the lake, and also show them where Matt and I had our engagement pictures taken. We finally started back down the mountain but instead of going toward home Matt decided to go up to Camp Timpooneke where the trailhead is to hike up Mt. Timp. We then of course had to take a little hike since we were there and since we didn't have Sadie and McCrae with us I got to tag along (in my flip-flops). We hiked up the regular trail for about 20 minutes trying to find a waterfall that is supposedly not too far up the trail, but decided we wouldn't have time to get up and back before dark, so Matt spotted a different trail for us to go back down; and down we went-STRAIGHT down! I suprisingly only lost my footing once and got a little scrape on the top of my foot. It actually turned out to be the highlight of our day. We finally made it back to Matt's mom and dads house at about 9:30 where dinner was waiting for us; we hurried and scarfed it down and went to meet Danelle's family at a church close to Thanksgiving Point to watch the fireworks. After that we went back to Grammy & Papas house so the kids could set off Brennons fireworks with him, the traffic was crazy and by the time we got back there Sadie and McCrae had fallen asleep. Our night ended at about 12:30, with four very tired kids!
Saturday was pretty uneventful, all we did was go to Wal-Mart for a few necessities. Then Sunday Matt took a nice 4 hour nap while I watched the kids and made Chicken Enchiladas and Ground Beef & Cheese Enchiladas...YUM!!
Monday Night we decided to go back up the canyon for FHE since our pass was still valid; so we swung by to pick Brennon up to go with us because he's so much fun to take along. Our thought was to go up the canyon and back down into the Sundance area where we wanted to hike to Stewart Falls. As we were nearing the top of the canyon our low fuel light came on and we were realizing we wouldn't make it to our destination in time to hike before dark; so plans changed and we decided to check out Cascade Springs instead. We got there at about 9 o'clock with just enough time to make a quick run around the boardwalk, then we took the cutoff road down into Midway where we stopped for gas. And who can be just minutes from Heber and not go to Granny's for one of their famous milkshakes? Not Matt--we actually opted for the new hot spot (Dairy Keen) instead which has an electric train set up to run around the perimeter of the eating area and fun things to entertain the kids. We finally got Brennon back to Grammy & Papas at 11:05, I'm sure we had them a little worried but all that was said is that "We're CRAZY!"
We had a great time, I'm really glad we do crazy things like that sometimes.

7 comments:

Shani said...

I forgot to mention our barbeque with neighbors Saturday evening, it has become our weekly ritual and so much fun!!

Tara said...

I love that you are so spontaneous! We need to be more like that!

Me said...

Sounds like you guys had a fun weekend. I would love to try some of those enchiladas, they sound delicious!

PJ and Me said...

Looks like you guys had alot of fun. We are looking for something fun to do that weekend we are there. I might have to check out the places you went to. Pete is going to golf, Wendi, Matt and I have to find something to do. Any suggestions?

Duble said...

again you still have no shout box, so i am posting a post that doesn't make sense with your post, but never mind that.

I got an email that said i have a message from you from classmates.com, which i may or may not becuase, they want me to pay to read it.

which I not going to do, but you can email a message to, dubois31@yahoo.com

Tara said...

Shani,
I love reading your stories! Sounds like something we would do...Glad you guys had such a great time!
Tara

Tara said...

Next week sounds great! If you look close there is 1 picture of Jenn with Ryan Horsley playing checkers. I need to take more pics of my friends I've discovered!