Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Hope of America

A couple of weeks ago Sydney was priviledged to be involved with the Hope of America Celebration at BYU's Marriott Center. She was one of some 6,000 other fifth grade students in the area to take part in this aewsome event. Together they made up a live form of the American Flag and sang a number of patriotic songs. This was the big kick off/opening ceremony for Provo's Freedom Festival they do every year. In addition to the kids singing their many songs, they also had dancers from many different cultures, and videos honoring our slodiers. It was so awesome, it made me so proud to be an American...I got a little teary and choked up all throughout the program.

Here is Sydney before the whole thing started, I had to get a good close up shot.

And this is the Flag that all those students together made...So COOL!!!

Syd is centered in this picture,
One of the shining stars in the field of blue.

If you study this picture a little bit you can see there is a bit of a ripple
going through the middle of the flag. During one of the songs they started a wave
that continued around the stadium four or five times.
The last song they sang is titled "We are the Light of the World"
All lights were turned off and the flag was illuminated by flashlights
held by each student. It was AmAzInG, just thinking about it
is making me get choked up again!!!

7 comments:

Staci J said...

This is so cool Shantelle! I love the flag! Your girls were adorable at the dance recital too! So fun...

Staci J said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Slider Family said...

I love Hope of America! Kynlee is already looking forward to it next year!

Trista said...

Wow, those are such neat pictures. I bet that was such a neat experience for Syd.. I am very proud to be an American!

Jonie said...

Your pictures turned out great. I think this is such a great opportunity for the kids.

PS we need to hook up so I can get the layouts.

Tara said...

How cool is that! What a neat experience!
Tara

PJ and Me said...

How cool, love the pic with the lights.