
For never being much of a reader all my life I can't hardly believe I read a complete series; consisting of 9 books with 500+ pages each. It all started with a book titled 'These Is My Words' which I borrowed from my mother-in-law. It was so enjoyable to read that I couldn't put it down and when I finished it I was left yearning for more. So, I went for what was readily available; which just so happened to be The Work and the Glory. Again I was so caught up in the story that I just couldn't get enough. Matt was thrilled that I was becoming such an avid reader, until it got to the point that I was letting everything else fall by the wayside. I was completely enthralled with the story of the restoration through our prophet Joseph Smith. I loved learning more about their trials and hardships and realizing all that our pioneer ancestors sacrificed. It is amazing to me knowing all that they went through for what they knew to be true. I don't know if I could ever have the strength or courage to do half of the things they did or suffered. I am so grateful and also feel so blessed to be living in a time and place such as this. The closing remarks made by Joshua in the final book sum it up so well....
"For almost four months on the trail I kept thinking of the Valley as being the end of the journey. Now I realize it is only the beginning. Think what this valley means for our children; the nearest mob is now more than a thousand miles away. Our littlest ones will never know a Far West, a Haun's Mill, a Carthage Jail. They may go to bed hungry this winter, but they will not go to bed afraid. The Valley represents much more than that, though. Like Israel of old, we have come through the wilderness and entered a land of promise....a promise of renewal, of growth, of vision--of Zion. Think of this. Our children will raise up children who will never know any life but life in this valley. Think of that, and rejoice."
Those words are so powerful to me, I can't say enough how blessed we are to know none other than the life in this valley.
Saturday, May 24, 2008
It's a Miracle!!
Posted by Shani at 12:02 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




4 comments:
Hi Shan! I am thrilled to hear that you read the Work and the Glory books. They are so exciting and wonderful! They truly changed my life. I have a better understanding of the gospel and and deeper appreciation for the sacrifices of the early members of church. And my testimony and love of Joseph Smith have grown in ways I didn't realize were possible. I always believed everything about the gospel but it just made me really understand everything more. Does that make sense. You'll never sing the song "Praise to the Man" the same again. After I read them I drove through the canyon and I just thought you know we are sooooo blessed to be in such a wonderful, beautiful place and it must have felt soooo incredible to come here after all they had been through. Even though they had work ahead to do they were safe. I'm so excited you read them! I wish Brian would! Everyone should don't you think!
It sounds like a wonderful series, it just seems so overwhelming to think I have to read 9 (thick)books. Someday I am sure I will read them. Oh, and the Carrie Underwood concert was great, if you ever get a chance to see her it is soooo worth it. Tell Matt to take you!
I love these books. I've read them three times and can't believe how much I learned about history without realizing it. I'm so glad that you read them and enjoyed them. And sometimes.. dishes just have to wait.
Shani, I am glad you have got the bug. It is a great way to spend a few hours.
Post a Comment