Thursday, January 15, 2009

My Girls' Bedspreads...Finally!!

Okay, so a number of months ago I was working hard on these adorable bedspreads for my girls' beds and a few of my friends asked that I post pictures when they were finished. The bedspreads themselves have been finished for awhile now, but I was still working on pillow shams. I still am planning to make a few decorative pillows to throw into the mix and we still don't have bedskirts for them, but at least you get the idea. It all started when we got new beds set up in their room for them, Sydney got a new full size bed, and Sadie got a daybed. So then I got looking for new bedding that would somewhat match and liven up their room with the boring white walls. I ended up finding an ad on KSL with full size and twin size matching sheet sets from Tommy Hilfiger for $35. I figured I could make them into simple but cute duvet covers, until I talked to my mom about my plans. She just happened to have a full size and a twin size chenille bedspread that her friend was going to throw out, and told me I could use them for the girls' beds. But, with boring white walls, I didn't want just plain white bedding too. So I then got the inspiration I needed from my neighbor friend who makes the cutest quilts with chenille blocks mixed in with her other patterned fabrics. They turned out so cute, I absolutely love them. They add so much spunk and personality to my girls' bedroom, and they love them too!!

Sydneys quilt has a somewhat random pattern to it
(as random as my anal side would allow anyway),

and Sadie's all runs diagonally.
I had so much fun with these quilts that I actually pulled out some denim squares that I cut out to make a quilt for Matt probably eight or more years ago, and got the top all sewn together to give to him for Christmas. I just got the batting and flannel for the back of it last Saturday, so when I get it all finished I'll have to post pics of it too. I can't believe how hooked I've become, I just love creating things, especially for the people I love!!

14 comments:

Tara said...

Great job! I used to love quilting too. I am so bad to stop doing stuff I love. I promised Brian a denim quilt years ago, too. Maybe you'll inspire me to get going on it finally...maybe! :)

Jonie said...

I love that you made them yourself, and your girls propably do too. Good Job!

Tara said...

Beautiful! I didn't know that you sewed. You are amazing! I've given up sewing until my baby quits messing with my machine knobs and pushing my pedal...He drives me crazy! I was just thinking about making a levi quilt though.....sounds fun! I might have to start one.
Tara

Me said...

The bedspreads turned out so cute. I wish I was better at sweing and quilting. We have a levi quilt that we got for our wedding that we love, they are just so comfy.

tsroybal said...

Those are gorgeous. I love them. I wish I was creative like you.

Lehigrams said...

They are really cute Shanni, sad that as many times as I have been there, I have not gotten up the stairs to see the finished product.
You did a great Job. Can't wait to see the denim one finished. Maybe you inspire me to finish my sick quilt!

Denette said...

I like quilting too. My problem is finding material that goes together. I put one together in College and I ended up giving the top to DI. The pieces didn't go together like I had thought they would.

Ashtyn said...

Oh Shani, it looks so cute! I love the pillows too. We need some more quilting days, and we'll get Matt's done. I got 12 done last week, and need to do 15 more for a senior citizen project, so we definitely have a lot to work on.

Great job!!

The Slider Family said...

They turned out so cute! I love the bright colors. You are amazing and I can't wait to see Matt's denim quilt.

Staci J said...

WOW!! You're so talented Shantelle! They turned out so cute!! I have material and a sewing machine, I just need to learn how to quilt. Maybe I could get some tips from you:)

Grandma Peg said...

Hi Shani,
The quilts are soooo cute!! You are talented just like your Mom. By the way how is she doing? I can't believe how big your family is!! You guys looked like you had alot of fun on your sled outting.
I think your brothers wife's family lives across the street from us in Price (we have a small house there for when we go back to Utah)because I think I have seen Cody there a few times but I never said hi because I don't think he would remember me. Take care and I will check out your blog often. Oh yeah....Sue is doing good and is as funny as she ever was!!! You should go see her when you are in town next time I know she still loves you to pieces!!

Grandma Peg said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
PJ and Me said...

You are so talented. They are so nice, I bet your girls were excited.

Butterfields said...

Those are the most cute bedspreads ever and you have to make one for my bed you are a very good blanket making, scarf making, anything making.
Person i have ever met and something that just caught my eye was that, that was my old bed and yes this is shay if you where wondering! and another thing that just caught my eye was that colt has that some stuffed animal as Sadie.
Have a good night love, Shay

p.s. ( you said that you like making things for people you love and don't you love me? ha ha ha !!! no realy make me one ) (: