Kim and I have been friends since our kindergarten days! We used to get together for occasional play days at one anothers house, and that was always great. Then during our first or second grade year we both moved into new houses in the same neighborhood, we of course became very best friends and inseperable. We loved playing house like most little girls do, and then we graduated to Barbie dolls; Kim always had the coolest furnishings and accessories for her Barbie's and I was so lucky to have a friend that was willing to share her goods with me. We liked to build huts with the boys and even played cars in the dirt hills. We loved having sleepovers on our trampoline and never missed an opportunity to T.P. the Heideman's (or Hobbs', and occasionally the Peirce's). We made so many wonderful memories growing up together in our little hometown of Wellington.
Then during our Jr High School years Kim's family moved to Roosevelt, I was so sad about losing my best friend. We tried writing back and forth for a little while but that unfortunately didn't last too long, I don't know how many years passed by that we were out of touch with eachother but even still it didn't break the bond of friendship we created as young girls. I remember receiving a letter and tape in the mail with the song Long Lost Friend by Restless Heart on it from Kim; and that song still brings tears to my eyes. We reconnected with eachother and would spend occasional weekends together (I remember some good times dragging main in Roosevelt chasing all the cute cowboys over there). And then after Kim moved to Provo to go to school at UVSC I would go hang out with her there too.
The hardest though was when her parents decided they were moving to Missouri. But like before, miles cannot break the friendship we've created. I never really expected to visit Kim out there (I always hoped she would move back to Utah and marry some guy out here and we'd raise our kids together), but as chance would have it; I ended up dating a Military man stationed in Missouri. He flew me out to visit him (twice) and of course I wasn't about to miss an opportunity to visit my life long friend. I had so much fun on those trips, I wish I could expand on all the fun exciting things we did but I won't drag this out any longer than I already have.
So, as you can see I'm very lucky to have Kim as my best friend and I'm so glad we can get together on her bi-yearly trips she makes to Utah. This last trip we met up with eachother at Gardner's Village and let the kids enjoy the stream with all the fish and ducks in it, while we enjoyed shopping in Pine Needles (the quilt and embroidery store). Afterward we headed to The Gateway to meet up with her dad and aunt for lunch and more fun for the kids at the childrens discovery museum.





3 comments:
Okay, not the best picture of me! But you look adorable as ever! I'm so lucky to have had a friend like you growing up! We had some good times, didn't we? We loved to torture Justin. And think of all the hours we spent pushing the neighbors babies around the subdivision in strollers. We were the best babysitters ever! Thanks Shan for everything! XO Kim
How fun that you and Kim have stayed so close. I remember you telling me stories about her. Just a quick note, I did the tag thing today and didn't have to change very many answers because, well I didn't need to. Your answers were the same as mine. So, here I am, copyng you again :)
I remember Kim O. (her name throughout grade school as mine was Kim S.) very well! She looks great tell her hello from the other Wellington Kim and happy Birthday Matt!
Kim Philips
Post a Comment