Last Tuesday I was able to go to the school and help serve the fifth grade Thanksgiving Feast. It was alot of fun to finally spend some time with Sydney in her classroom. In Wellington I was always spending time at the school and helping out in the kids' classes, but I haven't had the same priviledge here, so it is very nice when I 'can' get there.
The kids were told they could dress like a Pilgrim or an Indian for the Feast and I think Sydney was the only one in all of the fifth grade to actually do it, but she had a great time and loved every minute of it.
All set to enjoy their Traditional Thanksgiving Feast.
They got to try things like Succotash Stew(yum!), Indian Pudding(yuck!),Bannock Cakes w/ Bear Berry Jam, and Swizzle(not bad)...
I don't remember all the correct terms for all of the things they had to try but there was a Cornmeal Corn Soup that was pretty good, Boiled Eggs which had been soaked in Beet Juice over night, Cucumbers and Onions, Baked Pumpkin and Apples, and hot nuts(which of course were yummy). The kids had to try at least one bite of each item and then rate it on a scale of 1-5. It was interesting learning about some of the things the pilgrims ate for the First Thanksgiving, and it made me very glad for all the yummy things we enjoy now for our traditional Thanksgiving Feast.




2 comments:
How fun! She is such a pretty pilgrim! I'm glad she dressed up and loved it. She enjoyed probably had more fun than anyone else. I'm glad you got to go. That will be a fun memory!
Oh, so fun! I remember helping with Matthew's class last year. Sydney looks so cute!
Post a Comment